Tuesday, November 7, 2017

6 November 2017 WEEK 72

This past week I watched an old Church video, “How Rare A Possession”. It told the story of two men whose lives were influenced by the Book of Mormon in dramatic and powerful ways. 

Parley P. Pratt followed distinct impressions from the Spirit, that led him to the Book of Mormon. When he was introduced to the book, he began reading. In his own words, “I read all day; eating was a burden, I had no desire for food; sleep was a burden when the night came, for I preferred reading to sleep.” Feeling the confirmation of the Holy Ghost, Parley wrote: “I knew and comprehended that the book was true. … My joy was now full.” He spent most of the next 26 years serving multiple missions, and fulfilling any assignment given him. He began missionary work the Sunday after his baptism. 

Vincenzo di Francesca found an old copy of the Book of Mormon in an alleyway in New York City in February, 1910. He was a Methodist pastor at the time of this discovery. The title on the cover was worn off. The title page was ripped out and missing. The pages of the book were covered with soot and ash. Despite these obstacles, he felt compelled to reclaim and then read the book. In his own words, “For several hours I read the remainder of the pages, which gave me light and knowledge and left me charmed to think of the source from which this fresh revelation had come. I read and reread, twice and twice again, and I found it fit to say that the book was a fifth gospel of the Redeemer. At the end of the day, I locked the door of my room, knelt with the book in my hands, and read chapter ten of the book of Moroni. I prayed to God, the Eternal Father, in the name of his son, Jesus Christ, to tell me if the book were of God, if it were good and true, and if I should mix its words with the words of the four gospels in my preaching. I felt my body become cold as the wind from the sea. Then my heart began to palpitate, and a feeling of gladness, as of finding something precious and extraordinary, bore consolation to my soul and left me with a joy that human language cannot find words to describe. I had received the assurance that God had answered my prayer and that the book was of greatest benefit to me and to all who would listen to its words.” 
Brother di Francesca immediately began preaching from the Book of Mormon, and quickly got into trouble with his church leaders, because everybody started attending his sermons. The other pastors complained, and he was instructed to burn the book. He said, “I will not burn the book!” To do so would offend God. He was stripped of his job as pastor, and excommunicated. It took 20 years of searching to find the name of the book and its origin. It took 21 additional years before he could be baptized, the first LDS baptism in Sicily. But he had been preaching from this book already for 41 years. 

These men were passionate. Both were brought to the truth by the Book of Mormon. Ponder the influence of the Book of Mormon in your own life. There are things you can learn from the stories of Parley P. Pratt and Vincenzo di Francesca! What resonates in your heart and mind? Use those things and build your testimony until you have Brigham Young’s fire in your bones, then share it with everyone!

I love you all and hope you stay safe out there! You are in my prayers and will continue to be. NUFF LOVE 
-- 
-Elder Gibbons-

Keep Trying. Keep Pushing. Keep Believing. Keep Growing. Heaven is Cheering You on Today, Tomorrow, and Forever.





No comments:

Post a Comment